PCOS Hair Loss
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS) is a common hormonal imbalance that affects 1 in 10 women in India And 6 to 12 percent in the United State. It is seen when a woman is fertile and if it occurs, multiple small cysts are seen in the ovaries. Due to this reason, ovaries to swell and a fluid sac or follicles surround the ovary. So here in this article, we are going to discuss everything about PCOS related hair loss.
This disease is usually caused by uncontrolled living. So it can be called a lifestyle disease. It can occur if you do not exercise regularly, lead an uncontrolled lifestyle, smoke, get stressed, or do not get enough sleep.
Hair loss and polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS) is a big problem for women. It has a few symptoms which can easily be cured.
Symptoms of Polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS)
Below are the symptoms of PCOS…
- irregular periods
- excess hair on the body or face
- hair loss
If you are experiencing irregular menstrual, weight gain, hair loss lately, and excess hair on the body then the reason could be Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). So here we are going to share some tips to deal with hair loss from PCOS.
How PCOS cause hair loss?
There is a hormone called androgen, when this hormone increases then the PCOS hair loss occurs. Moreover, this hormone includes the male hormone testosterone. This hormone plays a huge role in stimulating hair growth and hair thinning on the scalp. This is known as androgenic alopecia or female pattern hair loss.
However, complete baldness does not occur as seen in men. Hair follicles in women are alive, unlike male baldness. This means that there is a good chance that PCOS will work to treat hair growth.
Symptoms Of PCOS Hair Loss
As stated above the hair loss very common in women with PCOS. Women can experience scalp hair loss with PCOS in the frontal and the apex region of the scalp, as a result of female pattern baldness.
You must know that on average we lose 100-150 hair shakes per day. And it takes at least 20-25% of hair loss on the scalp to detect the first signs of hair loss due to PCOS.
In the case of combing or washing, you might experience excessive hair loss, which could be an early symptom of PCOS hair loss. You should also look out for other PCOS symptoms such as weight gain, hair growth on the body or face, and lethargy.
Will it grow back?
Well, hair loss due to PCOS might not grow back on their own however proper treatment can help you help to stimulate the growth of new hair. Also, there are so many things you could do to mask PCOS-related hair fall.
Medical treatment for PCOS-related hair loss
Hormone regulation is an important factor to treat PCOS-related hair loss as PCOS hair loss can occur due to an imbalance of hormones.
Always remember that you may need to try some medicines until and unless you find the right one that works for you because the combination of the medication has the best results in most people.
Treatment of PCOS-related hair loss
Oral Medicines pills
To lower the level of androgen hormones birth control pills work effectively and efficiently because low androgen levels help reduce excess hair growth and reduce hair fall. It can also help with other symptoms like irregular periods and acne. Your primary physician may often prescribe a combination of contraceptive pills, anti-androgen drugs, and other drugs to control PCOS-related hair loss.
In case that the oral contraceptive pills do not work or have not given positive results then you should take anti-androgen drugs that help reduce PCOS hair loss.
In addition to oral medications, your primary physician can also prescribe topical ointments such as minoxidil. That is a liquid or foam which you need to massage into your scalp. It has side effects that can cause itching and dry the scalp.
Well, a replacement for hair can be an important treatment for PCOS hair loss. In this procedure, hair and hair follicles are taken from one area of the scalp and grafted into the scalp area, where the thinning prominent. Before noticing a significant result it takes a few steps.
Note: A hair replacement might not work always. In this case, you can talk to your doctor to understand the details.
Shampoos can also help to reduce PCOS hair loss however you have to look for the right shampoos that actually work. Conditioners and moisturizing shampoos can help damaged and color-treated hair. Look for sulfate-free shampoos that are light and designed to enhance hair growth.
Home Remedies of PCOS Hair Loss
As stated above PCOS hair loss is related to lifestyle diseases. Weight loss with lifestyle interventions can reduce the effects of PCOS, including hair loss, by lowering male hormone levels. So below are some quick remedies to prevent PCOS-related hair loss:
1. The use of bridal combs for soft natural hair can be helpful in controlling hair fall.
2. Exercise every day may help reduce excessive bodyweight, which regulates male hormone production and, in turn, minimize PCOS-related hair loss.
3. Try to look for a healthy diet plan and avoid junk foods. A healthy diet plan can help to keep your body weight in check, thus regulating male hormone production.
4. You can opt for different hairstyle techniques to make the hair fall noticeable.
5. Everyday oil massaging on the scalp helps in blood circulation, which strengthens the hair follicles. Avoid chemical burdened oils and choose natural ingredients.
6. Using a homemade hair mask with the help of eggs and olive oil to enhance the growth of the hair. Take an egg and mix it with one teaspoon of olive oil. Now apply it to your hair, starting from the roots for hair tips. Leave it as it is for 20 minutes and then shampoo.
7. As per a 2016 study, PCOS-related hair loss can be reduced by taking zinc supplements. Studies reviewed the effects of zinc supplementation on PCOS have shown that 8 weeks of daily 50 mg initial zinc use resulted in hair loss. It also helps hirsutism.
8. Use Biotin. It’s a popular supplement that is often used for hair wealth and growth. Though there is not enough medical evidence that it can help to reduce PCOS-related hair loss. But opting for these supplements may worth try.
Does hair regrowth after hair loss due to PCOS?
Yes, it’s possible that lost PCOS hair can regrowth if you addressed the underlying hormonal imbalance. Once your doctor has properly diagnosed PCOS and treated you with PCOS, you will notice a significant improvement in symptoms as you regrow hair.
In the case of damaged hair, you should opt for different hair care products to fix it. It can be time taking depending on your hair growth. In addition, nutritious food will help make your hair strong and lustrous.