So today we are gonna share how to make a french casserole Hachis Parmentier. Which has been made by mashed potatoes and frozen beef stew layered together with Emmental cheese and baked. Though it is not as much as popular as other french foods. The Hachis Parmentier licks your plate as it tastes clean and the family usually likes it. It can be served with a great green salad and voila.
YIELD: 4 people
ACTIVE TIME: 30
TOTAL TIME: 1:10
So before going to the kitchen to make the Hachis Parmentier make sure you have all the necessary ingredients. So here the ingredients you must have before preparing.
So below are the ingredients of Hachis Parmentier:
- Stew: Skip to the mashed potatoes in case if you have leftover stew.
- 1 big size onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 carrots
- one leek
- a handful of green beans
- fresh thyme
- fresh rosemary
- Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan (or emmental, gruyere, etc.)
Read On: How To Reheat Prime Rib Without Losing its Taste.
Steps of making Hachis Parmentier
You have the ingredients and now you can make the Hachis Parmentier recipe. So below are the steps you can follow to make.
1. Boil potatoes for around 15 minutes or until potatoes become soft to mashed easily but make sure you peel and cut the potatoes.
2. Now with some boiling water smash the potatoes and add milk, nutmeg, salt, butter, cream, and pepper to taste. You can add more or less cream or milk as per your taste preference for mashed potatoes.
3. Set aside.
4. Now carefully chop the carrot, leaks, and green beans.
5. Saute onion, garlic, and ground beef with less olive oil.
6. When the beef turns brown, remove the fat.
7. Add green beans, fresh thyme, carrots, leeks, and rosemary (break 2-3 sprigs of thyme and one spring rosemary), beef, salt, and pepper to taste.
8. Cook over medium heat, leave it as it is for 15 minutes or until the carrots and green beans are becoming soft or tender.
9. Use one or two Pyrex type pans on the bottom and side to assemble the casserole.
10. Now set a layer of the beef mixture at the bottom of every pan. Always remember that the layer must be thick around 1 inch.
11. Then sprinkle the beef and layer the mashed potatoes on top of the beef potatoes. Always remember that the layer must be thick around 1 inch.
12. Now sprinkle grated cheese on top of the mashed potato layer. You may use more cheese if you want. Although, it’s recommended to use less cause it became too oily otherwise.
13. Re-layering: Beef, cheese, mashed potatoes until you use everything and have cheese on top.
14. Until and unless the inside of the casserole bubbles and the cheese on top begins to brown heat oven to 180 C and cook uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Serve with a green salad with balsamic vinegar, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. Or you can serve with a green salad of dijon vinaigrette.
Also Read: How To Make Mock Turtle Soup At Home.